You are herePrograms/Services / Health Program
The Mi’kmaq Confederacy of PEI (MCPEI) manages an extensive health program designed to support the health and wellbeing of the Mi’kmaq of Prince Edward Island (Lennox Island and Abegweit Band members) living on-reserve. The objectives of the Health Program are as follows:
- To improve accessibility to health programs and services for PEI Mi’kmaq people.To increase the capacity of PEI Mi’kmaq people to better manage their health and increase their sense of wellbeing.
- To raise awareness amongst PEI Mi’kmaq people of their rights, and the types of health and wellness programs and services available to them across PEI.
- To increase capacity within Mi’kmaq communities to better manage their own unique health and safety concerns.
- To raise awareness and understanding within relevant Federal government divisions, Provincial government sectors, and non-governmental organizations of the health and wellness needs of PEI Mi’kmaq people.
- To increase collaboration between MCPEI and relevant Federal government divisions, Provincial government sectors, non-governmental organizations, and other Aboriginal organizations to better meet the health and wellness needs of PEI Mi’kmaq people.
- To ensure that the needs of PEI Mi’kmaq people are taken into consideration, and reflected in community and provincial health policies, programs, and procedures.